STAYING SAFE IN THE SUN
The sun appears to be getting stronger and stronger each day, which must mean summer’s arriving! Throw on some shorts, shades, and hit the beach- but don’t forget the sunscreen! Some fun in the sun could turn into a painful night if you neglect to take care of your skin. Follow the tips below and you’ll be in good hands.
- Ingredients matter- Make sure your sunscreen is waterproof and long lasting.
- SPF 50 is the highest SPS sunscreen you can buy. Products that claim to be higher work no better than SPF 50.
- Shade is important – Make sure you’re in an area that offers shade if you feel you’ve been too exposed to the sun. If you can’t find a place, make one! Hitch together a small tent or umbrella to shield you from harmful rays.
- Reapply often – Although your sunscreen advertises how long lasting it is, it will likely rub off on your towel, clothes, or in the water. Apply at least every 2 hours to stay safe.
- Check your skin regularly in an effort to spot new moles or other skin issues.
- Lips, nose, ears, neck, hands, and feet are the most common areas people neglect to apply sunscreen to.
- Don’t wait until you’re in the sun to apply lotion. Researchers suggest applying sunscreen 15 minutes prior to being in the sun.
- Hats will protect not only your face, but your eyes as well.
- Apply sunscreen to children six months and younger whenever they’re outside.
- Keep in mind, the sun is strongest between 10a.m. and 4p.m. Many people are unaware of how strong the sun’s rays are in the morning.
- Say no to fake baking – the UVA rays in tanning beds are incredibly harmful for individuals. Decrease your chances of developing skin cancer by avoiding tanning beds at all costs.
- The sun’s harmful rays bounce off of sand, snow, and shiny surfaces. Be sure to have sunglasses handy to decrease the damage these rays can cause.
Miller’s Insurance is interested in improving your quality of life in any way we possibly can. To learn more about the countless ways we can help keep you, your family, and investments safe- contact a Miller’s Insurance agent today!