Tips for Keeping Your Pets Safe This Holiday Season
The holidays are exciting! The weather’s changing, the food’s delicious, and we reunite with loved ones. Unfortunately, all this hype causes quite the distraction from our pets. Miller’s has compiled a few safety tips you probably haven’t thought about to protect your four legged friend!
Holiday Tinsel and Ornaments
The tinsel and ornaments hanging from your tree are incredibly enticing, especially to cats. The shiny whimsical tinsel is very tempting, and causes severe digestive problems when swallowed. Aside from ornaments being a choking hazard, these fragile pieces can break apart and lacerate your pet’s mouth and throat. Remember to hang tinsel and fragile ornaments out of reach from your furry friend.
Be sure to place candles out of reach from dogs and cats. Not only is it a horrible fire hazard if they happen to knock it over, but the hot wax can burn the pads of their paws. Be mindful of the placement of your candles, even if they’re high enough that your pet cannot reach. If Fido happens to bump into the side table, your candle could easily ignite the nearby curtains.
If you have a real tree do not add fertilizer to the water you give it. The stagnant water at the tree’s base would upset your pet’s stomach whether there’s fertilizer or not. Also, be sure the tree is properly secured in its holder. The last thing you want is for your pet to knock it over, harming itself or damaging the ornaments.
If you’re expecting company this season, be sure your pet has a safe and quiet place it can retreat to. While most animals are friendly and love the excitement of visitors, too many people popping in and out can overwhelm them. This can cause them stress, which may result in stomach issues. If you’re traveling this season, be sure your pet is cared for while you’re away.
Let’s face it, one of the greatest parts about the holidays is the food! Unfortunately, a lot of food is dangerous for your furry friend. Chocolate, nuts, sugar free baked goods, and bones are incredibly harmful to your pet’s digestive system. If you refrain from giving your pet human food, be sure to make your guests aware of this. Kids especially are very tempted to drop a few treats off their plate when they see those puppy-dog eyes; however, pets that eat mainly dog or cat food get incredibly sick from food they’re not used to.