Your garage is likely the place you store a variety of valuable items. You may have your vehicles here. You also have equipment you use to maintain your lawn. You may have tools you use in your home.
If you took a moment, how much would all your belongings in the garage add up? It is important to consider this. As you look at your home insurance, you need to know you have enough coverage to minimize losses even in the garage.
Does Home Insurance Cover Theft from the Garage?
Your home insurance policy may cover damage to the garage as well as provide coverage for what is within it. This depends on various factors. First and foremost, your garage must be on your policy. If you have an attached garage, it is likely to be on the policy. If you have a detached home, it may not be. Be sure the policy lists this coverage specifically. Once listed, let your agent know about the valuables within it. The agent can help you determine the best monetary limits to protect the possessions. This is the best way to safeguard your home.
Now, How Can You Protect Them?
It is up to you to secure your home. This includes the garage. Here are some tips to help you to do so.
- Start with considering entry points. Do you have a secure garage door that locks into place? Do you have any other doors on the garage? Are they secure?
- Next, consider alarm systems. They can work to protect your home. If someone opens the door without a code, the alarm sounds. Connect this to your home’s alarm.
- Keep your garage door closed. This minimizes theft. It also helps keep people from knowing what is in your garage.
- Keep items put away and organized. This way, if something is missing, you know about it as soon as possible.
- Be sure your garage door opener has a unique opening code. Change it every few months. This ensures no one else can use it.
Keep your garage as safe as you would your home. Many times, it offers an easy entrance into your home as well. Be sure to let your Downingtown home insurance agent know about any type of security you put in place, too. This might significantly reduce your home’s insurance costs. Keeping your home safe is essential. It gives you peace of mind and protects your property.