How to Manage Your Road Rage
Maybe you get a little more than frustrated when a driver tailgates you. You probably see red when the car in front of you neglects to use its turn signal. On the other hand, maybe you’re the one tailgating cars because you can’t stand slow drivers. Whatever the case may be, you’re suffering from a severe case of road rage. Learn how to remain calm behind the wheel by following the tips below.
Take a Deep Breath
You must understand that while you can’t control other people’s behavior, you can control your own. Take a deep breath and relax- you’ll get to where you need to go, and that’s all that matters.
Admit it, it feels good to yell and curse from your steering wheel when the driver in front of you is going 10mph under the speed limit, and you’re in a rush. It’s okay to vent, just do it appropriately. Feel free to tell the passenger in your car how annoyed you are, then simply refrain from slamming on your horn and make a mental note to give yourself enough time to get to your destination next time.
Share the Road
At times it feels like you’re the only driver on the road that needs to get somewhere, and all those other motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians are obstacles getting in your way. Realize that your sharing the road with people who also need to get to work, school, and appointments. Keep in mind the following things make it a bit easier for everyone:
- Use your turn signals
- Keep distance between you and the car in front of you
- Don’t speed
- Don’t go too slow; this too makes sharing the road dangerous for oncoming drivers who aren’t expected a sudden decrease in speed.
- Remain off your cell phone; this is an incredibly dangerous distraction
- Refrain from changing lanes quickly and often
- Use your horn for good and not evil. If you’re using your horn to signal distress or to get a neglectful drivers attention, than that’s completely fine. But if you’re using your steering wheel and horn as a punching bag to let out your road rage, it’s probably best to pull over and get yourself together.
Miller’s holds your safety and protection at its highest priority. To learn how you can further protect yourself and your investments, call a Miller’s Insurance Agent today.