As the new year approaches, there are plenty of ways to celebrate. You can watch the ball drop with your family, host a gathering with friends or even count down until midnight at a public party.
But whether you’re ringing in the new year at home or spending a night out on the town, safety should always be a top priority. Here are a few tips to help you party responsibly, no matter where you celebrate.
On New Year’s Eve, you don’t have to leave your house to have a great time. If you’re hosting guests, here are some ways to ensure everyone can kick off the new year in style:
Chances are, there will be no shortage of New Year’s Eve parties around your city. If you choose to spend the night away from home, here are some tips to help you get back safely:
- Designate a driver. If you’re planning to celebrate with alcohol, decide how you’ll be getting home before your first drink. There are plenty of ways to find a designated driver, whether you call a cab, use a ridesharing service or choose a friend to take you home.
- Celebrate with friends. There’s safety in numbers. If you’re partying with friends, have a conversation about looking out for each other before the night begins.
- Charge your phone. Before you head out for a night on the town, make sure your phone is fully charged. Getting stuck with a dead battery will make it difficult to reconnect with friends or hail a ride home, if needed.
- Eat before you leave. Not planning to go out for a full meal? Be sure to eat before you leave. Besides ensuring you won’t go hungry, a full stomach can help slow the absorption of alcohol.
- Don’t leave your car overnight. If you’re not driving home, it’s probably wise to leave your car in the driveway – and don’t forget to lock the doors. Unfortunately, criminals don’t take a holiday. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, New Year’s Day is the top holiday for car thefts!
No matter how you celebrate… the new year is a time to reflect on your successes of the past and your hopes for the future. At Miller's Insurance, we’re here to protect all that matters most so you can relax and enjoy life.
With Miller's, you get outstanding coverage, great rates and service from local people who care. Find a local Miller agent
in your neighborhood or learn more about homeowners insurance.