How to Avoid Falling for These Tricky Schemes
We’ve all dealt with telemarketers. They usually call during the most inopportune times- like in the middle of family dinner. They usually have little to no valuable information to give you, and try to keep you on the phone as long as possible. Some of these people are simply doing their jobs, others are out to scam you.
Everyone is at risk of phone scams. There is no prejudice or special selection, because they’re simply after your cold hard cash. Scammers do tend to favor the elderly however, because they assume they’re more gullible than others. Learn how you can avoid a sticky situation like this, and pass the information on to your loved ones!
Scammers will say anything to get enough information out of you to do some damage to your bank account. Typically, they’ll call to inform you of their new travel packages, investment opportunities, charitable causes, or “free” trial offers. While many of the tricks they use sound tempting and promising, they’re just that: tricks! Allow yourself to be a bit cynical when it comes to telemarketers.
Next time you’re on the phone with a telemarketer and your interest in his/her “free” trial offer gets the best of you, think of the following suggestions:
- Do not give or confirm any information regarding your account information or social security number.
- Don’t feel pressured to make a decision now, ask that the caller e-mail you the information you discussed so you have everything in writing.
- Do your research before agreeing to anything. People who have been scammed typically post their experience on the internet, warning others to steer clear of the scheme they fell for.
- Never pay in cash or transfer money. If you pay by credit card, you can dispute the payment if you’ve truly been scammed. Paying with cash leaves no trace of the situation and there’s no way you can get your money back.
- Report the caller if you feel they are not a reputable business, and are out to scam others.
Miller’s Insurance strives to protect you in every aspect of your life. We’re aware there are bad guys out in the world, and unfortunate circumstances that life presents at the most inconvenient times. We’re determined to make these moments not simply bearable for you, but avoidable. To learn about the many ways we can protect you, contact a Miller’s Insurance agent today!